If you love Mexican food, you must have tried Chipotle Mexican grill, in particular chipotle burrito, one of the authentic and classic recipes of Mexican cuisine. In the last few posts, we have let you know the popularity of Mexican food and the basic spices and ingredients normally used in Mexican recipes. In this article, we would rather be specific and talk about one of its specialties, chipotle burritos.
A chipotle is called smoked chili or smoke dried jalapeno. It is one of the fundamental ingredients of Mexican food and Mexican inspired cuisines lie Tex-Mex, Mexican-American and southwestern dishes. A burrito is a Mexican and Tex-Mex food that consists of wheat made tortilla wrapped into cylindrical shape and containing filling, forming a semicircular perimeter open, unlike tacos. The flour tortilla is generally lightly steamed or grilled which makes it softer and more pliable. Following is the chipotle burrito recipe:
Recipe: Chipotle Burrito
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can organic black beans, drained
- 1 can organic kidney beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh salsa
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 cup cheese Mexican blend cheese
- 1 1/2 cups chopped plum tomato
- 1 1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 6 tablespoons light sour cream
- Take a skillet and heat oil on a medium heat. Cook garlic in it for a minute and then add salt and chili powder. Cook for a minute and then add beans and 1/3 cup water. Boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes. Add salsa and mash beans roughly with the help of a fork.
- Warm tortillas in microwave for few seconds.
- Layer center of tortillas with beans mixture and top with cheese, lettuce, tomato, sour cream and onion. Roll up half into cylindrical shape and serve.