If you like Mexican food, you must have heard about authentic Mexican Chimichangas. The Chimichanga is one of the most popular and traditional recipes in Mexican cuisine. It is a deep-fried burrito, deep fried and served with guacamole, salsa, cheese or sour cream. Though a lot of variations are available for this delicious and unique recipe, the authentic Mexican Chimichangas recipe that has been in the region for centuries, is the most famous in Tex-Mex, Southwestern U.S. cuisine. In this post, we will share a great recipe for an authentic Mexican Chimichangas that you must try at home.
Chicken Chimichangas Recipe
Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, & 8 cups for frying
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder + 1⁄2 teaspoon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 Lbs. cooked & shredded chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 can green chilies, drained and chopped
- 8 flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Take a sauté pan and heat 2 tablespoon of oil on medium heat. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add garlic, cumin, oregano and chili powder and cook for a minute. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Now add green chilies and cook for 5 minutes. Then set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place tortillas on flat surface and layer 1/1 cup of chicken spread in the center of each tortilla. Sprinkle some cheese.
- Fold the tortillas in a roll form and secure the edges with wooden toothpicks.
- Now heat remaining oil in a deep fryer to 360 degrees F. Using tongs, fry the chimichangas deep into the oil till they are brown on all sides.
- Keep the fried chimichanga over the paper towel. Remove toothpicks and place the chimichanga on serving plate. Serve with salsa or enchilada sauce with cheese sprinkled over.