If you have tried Mexican cuisine, you must have tried the authentic Mexican Empanadas, one of the traditional and most popular Mexican recipes. The name of Empanada is derived from the verb “empanar” that means to coat or wrap in bread. The authentic Mexican empanadas are made by folding the dough or bread patty around some stuffing. The stuffing may vary from region to region, and usually consist of vegetables, meats or even fruits. Authentic Mexican Empanadas recipe found in Mexican was originated in Spain and Portugal. In this article, we will see one of the best and most delicious authentic Mexican Empanadas recipes.
Mexican Pumpkin Empanadas
Cooking Time: 60 Minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat oven at 350 F. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take a bowl and mix flour with 1/3 cup sugar, 1.5 tsp salt and baking soda. Add shortenings and add water,2 tbsp at a time.
- Knead the dough smoothly and place it on a floured, flat surface.
- Cut dough in quarters and then cut each dough into thirds. This makes 12 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into balls and cover with a cloth. Set aide.
- To make filling, take a bowl and mix pumpkin, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and 2 tsp salt.
- On a flat surface, roll each dough ball into a thin circle and place spoonful of filling in the center.
- Wrap the dough to make a half-moon shaped pie and seal the edges with fork.
- Make all empanadas this way and place them on lined baking sheets. Brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve.