Chimichanga is a classic element of a Mexican food. It is a deep-fried burrito which is highly popular in Southwestern United States cuisine and Mexican states of Sonora and Sinaloa. The chimichanga is usually made by filling a tortilla with several ingredients including cheese, rice, machaca (dry meat), shredded chicken and carne adobada (marinated meat). It is generally folded in rectangular shape. Then the burrito is deep fried and can be complemented with sour cream, salsa, cheese or guacamole. Like other burritos, chimichanga is also made in several variations in terms of ingredients. Chicken chimichanga is one of the most popular variations, usually served for lunch and dinner. It is a fantastic addition in any diet meal. In this article, we will include one of the most authentic Mexican chimichangas recipes.
Recipe Name: Classic Mexican chimichanga
Preparation Time:25 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Serving Size: 4
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 onion, diced, divided
- 6 (12 inch) flour tortillas
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken breast divided
- 1-pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded divided
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives
- 4 cups refried beans, divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeno Chile peppers
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Take a skillet and heat broth with rice, sauce and diced onion on a medium heat. Boil. Reduce heat and simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Take another skillet and heat tortillas to make it soft.
- Once rice mixture is done, spoon small amount on each tortilla and then spread chicken shredded, jack cheese, olives, onions, beans and rice mixture.
- Fold tortillas.
- Heat oil in skillet on a medium heat and fry tortillas each side for 2 minutes. Serve warm.